Egg Tomato Spicy Rice
This is a spicy, tangy one dish meal that is delicious and nutritious. Ingredients include egg whites, brown rice and tomatoes along with a host of delicious South Indian spices that make this recipe an absolute winner. Super yummy!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time5 hrs 35 mins
Servings: 2 People
- 1/3 Cup Brown Rice Long Grain
- 3 Eggs Pasture Raised - Boiled, Shelled and Cut- Whites only
- 1/4 Cup Onion Fine Cut
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Fine Cut
- 1/8 Cup Cilantro Fine Cut
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger & Garlic Paste
- 6 Leaves Curry Leaves Split in Half
- 1 Chili Green Chili Pepper Slit in Half
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split Black Gram)
- 1/2 Chili Dry Red Chili Small
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt Or To Taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil Extra virgin
Set ingredients aside
Boil, shell and slice up eggs. Separate the yolk and just have it with some salt and pepper or save and snack on it later. Don't trash it.
Soak rice for about 5 to 6 hours to soften and make it fluffy. Adding a small amount of coconut oil or butter will keep the grains from sticking to each other.
Meanwhile, chop onions, tomatoes and cilantro.
Add oil to pan and heat on medium flame for a couple of minutes.
Sauté mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, and dry red chili for 1 minute.
Add onions and ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and saute for 5 minutes (or till onions turn golden brown).
Add chili powder, tomatoes and continue cook until tomatoes soften.
Add garam masala powder, salt and eggs; mix thoroughly and cook for a couple more minutes.
Transfer cooked rice and sautéed ingredients to a large bowl, add cilantro and mix contents well; transfer to serving dish
Great by itself as a meal.
*Use organic ingredients wherever possible
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 345mg | Potassium: 296mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.6mg